Saturday, January 1, 2011

Dogfish Head Theobroma

I had been looking forward to trying this one after watching a show on the Discovery Network on micro breweries and they did a bit on this beer.  So I was on a mission and was very excited to pick one up even though it came with a steep price tag of close to $30.  This beer was discovered by analyzing pottery clips in Honduras.  They discovered that this was the first known alcoholic beverage made from chocolate and the guys from Dogfish Head in Delaware said lets make a batch.   Theobroma translates into food of the gods and dates back to 1200 BC.  It pours a rich light caramel colour with a really thin white head that immediately dissipates.  With all of the talk about how they sourced all of the chocolate and  different ingredients to make this beer I was expecting a much darker chocolate presence.   This was a great beer but once again I'm having a hard time with the quality to price ratio and for a $30 beer it better knock my socks off and sadly this one disappoints just for that reason.  I would love to give this another shot but I'll have to get it in the States next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment