Sunday, October 24, 2010

Green Flash Brewing Le Freak

I first tried this beer a year ago after one of my first trips to Brewery Creek Liquor store on Main St. here in Vancouver and it has become a staple in my fridge ever since. Simply one of the best beers you will try.  It's something that logically shouldn't work but it just does.  A cross between an Imperial IPA and a Belgian Trippel.  Most of us know what an IPA is but a Trippel is a little less known but in layman's terms it means the strongest brew in a Belgium brew house.  The most famous versions would be from Wesmalle Belgium where it's brewed by Trappist Monks.  Many Trippel's are brewed with  ingredients other than the normal barley, yeast, hops & water to impart different flavors textures and aromas.  They also use many variety's of  complex strains of yeast that impart subtle flavors and add even more complexity to the beer.  With all of these things that set a Trippel apart you now throw in the bitterness from the large amounts of hops used to make a IPA you get a beer that defies logic with a slightly sweet mouth feel with a balanced finish with the bitterness from the hops.  So living up to it's name this beer has a whopping IBU of 101 with a ABV of 9.2% so not for the weak minded when it comes to strong flavors.

3 comments:

  1. Sold! Sounds good I'm going to try me one of those tasty beers, when I can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I last saw it at Brewery Creek but I have also found it at Firefly on Cambie.

    ReplyDelete